Dental fillings are primarily used to restore teeth affected by cavities. They are placed in the cavity to restore the shape and structural integrity of the tooth and also prevent the growth of decay. Although fillings were made from metals in the past, we have turned towards tooth-colored biocompatible fillings in recent times, owing to all their benefits.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Made From?
At Spa Dental, we use dental-grade ceramic and composite resin as the material for fillings. Both these materials are highly customizable and offer excellent properties. Since they are tooth-colored, they do a great job of staying indistinguishable from the tooth it is used on, which keeps the fillings from being noticed when you smile or talk.
What are the Advantages of Dental Fillings?
- Fillings provide excellent durability even though you bite and chew food every day.
- Their color can be matched with that of the natural enamel precisely, which keeps them indistinguishable from the tooth they are used on.
- Fillings seal the cavity perfectly, which keeps microbes and food residues from entering the cavity and causing reinfection.
- The procedure for placing fillings is very simple and can be completed in a single visit to our practice in San Jose.
- Fillings are quite long-lasting.
- Tooth-colored fillings do not cause any adverse reactions from the tissues of the teeth, such as what happens with metal amalgam fillings.
- Their rate of expansion and contraction is negligible, which prevents any damage to the tooth when you consume hot or cold foods/beverages.
How Are Fillings Placed?
When you arrive at our dental practice, we will conduct a detailed screening of the mouth to spot the cavities on the teeth. First, the decay and tartar deposits on the teeth surfaces will be removed by scaling. This process is carried out using an ultrasonic scaling device, which has a stainless steel metal tip vibrating at ultrasonic frequencies. It will be combined with a jet of water to wash away the microbial residues. Next, the dentist will prepare the filling material by matching it with the color of the enamel.
We invite you to schedule a consultation with our team of dental experts at Spa Dentistry in San Jose, CA to get all your oral concerns addressed at the earliest. Please call us at (408) 270-7723 or reach out through online consultation, and we’ll be happy to help.